Re: Building 4.x releases on 5.x and 6.x

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:04:42 +0200
On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 12:45:13AM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >Hi Maxim,
> >
> >One thing you'll definitely need is to install the Perl port in
> >LOCAL_SCRIPT.  Mounting /dev (much like the RELENG_5 and HEAD
> >versions of release/Makefile do) will also be needed.  Note that
> >you should be using the 4.x version of release/Makefile* to
> >start "make release", and use WORLDDIR to point to your
> >/usr/src, something like this:
> >
> >	cd /tmp
> >	cvs co -rRELENG_4 -l release
> >	cd /usr/src/release
> >	make -f /tmp/Makefile release ...
>
> Do you mean that I need to have 5.x/6.x in /usr/src pointed to by
> WORLDDIR, while 4.x in /tmp/src and start making release in
> /tmp/src/release?

I eman what I said: you need to use the target (4.x) version of
release/Makefile*, and /usr/src matching your running world and
kernel (5.x).  WORLDDIR is not supported by 4.x release/Makefile,
hence the sequence above.

> I am not sure about perl, why do I need it? Isn't initial make
> buildworld expected to build it and install into pristive chroot'ed tree?

You need Perl because 5.x doesn't have Perl in the base system,
hence initial "make installworld" (which will install 5.x world
into ${CHROOTDIR}) will not install Perl needed to build a 4.x
kernel.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov