Re: max blockdevice/filesystem size?

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:52:02 +1100
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 02:03:38PM +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
>One point for a 10T UFS2 filesystem is a limit of 2G inodes.

It shouldn't - ino_t is unsigned.

>Someone mentioned a problem in another thread with more inodes.

It's not clear that his problem was definitely caused by having
more than 2G inodes - though it is possible.

>Another point is the fsck memory footprint when checking such a
>filesystem - that should very much depend on your newfs args and
>number of files.

Not to mention the disk space eaten by the inodes and time to
actually perform an fsck.

>Otherwise it should just work.

It's probably a good idea to adjust the blocksize, fragsize, cylinders
per group and bytes per inode to suit the expected number of files.  A
larger blocksize (up to a certain point) will improve I/O performance
and increase the maximum cylinder size.  Fewer cylinders and fewer
inodes will speed up fsck.

Peter