Re: dhclient can't get a DHCP lease..

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:29:01 +1030
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 04:03, David W. Hankins wrote:
> it would have been nice to have gotten a before-n-after on
> /var/db/dhclient.leases.  my only guess would be that yours was
> somehow corrupted.

Hmm, that sounds plausible :)

> > DHCP server is FreeBSD with isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r9 which hasn't changed for a
> > while.
>
> just a side-note...if you had 'authoritative;' configured, it would send
> a NAK upon the first REQ for an unknown address.  this would send clients
> back to init state much more rapidly than your experience.

It is marked authoritative..

> my guess would be that after reaching the request timeout, dhclient entered
> the address-selection loop (in dhclient's case, it picks the first one that
> got ACK'd on the list and throws out all else), and since that NULL address
> was the only lease and wasn't ACK'd, it exited the loop without picking a
> lease.
>
> when that happens, dhclient goes back to init state to get new leases.

Ahh OK.

> if 'all morning' was an extended period, then i presume  you were
> interrupting dhclient when you realized it was not working right, or
> have configured a large reboot timeout in etc/dhclient.conf.
>
> the default reboot timeout is 10 seconds.

I haven't set a longer timeout, and I did wait longer than 10 seconds, but
less than a minute or so..

Guess I probably should have just left it.

Thanks for the information.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5