Re: Coalescing pipe allocation

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:08:11 -0800 (PST)
:...
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
:robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research

    It seems to me that realizing the lion's share of the benefit requires
    only that you cache the KVM reservation for a pipe buffer, and that
    you perhaps separately cache pipe meta data structures.  I think
    you would only get a smidgen more performance by caching the entire
    pipe pair, so it seems a bit overkill to do that.  By my quick read it
    looks like it would be trivial to create a small per-cpu (UMA based for
    you guys, globaldata based for me) cache.  A hysteresis of 4 ought to
    be sufficient.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon_at_backplane.com>