Fw: Re: DRI troubles

From: Ricard Pascual Diaz <raver_at_hosting.sytes.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:59:50 +0000
Hi!

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:43:11 +1100
Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm_at_theinternet.com.au> wrote:

> +-------[ Ricard Pascual Diaz ]----------------------
> | Hello!
> | I'm trying to enable DRI in my FreeBSD-5.2-RELEASE laptop with an ATI Radeon 9000 video card. First of all, I uncommented these /etc/X11/XFree86Config lines:
>
> [snip]
>
> | Everything seems to be ok and following guidelines in http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/ site I didn't miss any step.
>
> What are the permission on /dev/dri/card0

Permission is right, you can see with ls:

# ls -l /dev/dri/card0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  145,   0 Feb  4 13:48 /dev/dri/card0

I set it at the end of XFree86Config:

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

> try chowning it to your username and restart X.
>
> If that works, and you're using xdm you can try adding the line
>
> chown $USER /dev/dri/card*
>
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
>
> (you should chown root in TakeConsole).
>
> s/xdm/wdm/ if you're using wdm.
>
> (or you can just perma-chown it in /etc/devfs.conf if you don't care all that
> much)

Sorry, but I'm not using xdm or any other display manager.

> --
> Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|                      | Andrew Milton
> The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  M:+61 416 022 411   |
> ACN: 082 081 472 ABN: 83 082 081 472 |akm_at_theinternet.com.au| Carpe Daemon

I'm testing DRI with Quake III game. Then, I installed dri and linux_dri ports to enable its execution. The first time it works well, but when I tried it after rebooting my laptop I got this errror message when trying to start the game:

 You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
 Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1
 If this is intentional, add
       "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
 to the command line when starting the game.

If I set this variable the game starts but very slow, because I'm forcing the software acceleration.
Finally, I realized that if I deinstall linux_dri, install it again and execute the game without restarting X's it starts fine. Quite amazing, isn't it? I checked glxinfo before and after installing linux_dri and before and after execute the game, as well as enviroment variables, but there are no differences. So, I can't understand what's wrong...

XFree86.log, XFree86Config, dmesg.log and glxinfo.log are attached for further details.

Cheers,