Re: 5-CURRENT on an IBM NAS 300G.

From: Carl Makin <carl_at_xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:52:14 +1100
Hi Doug,

Doug White wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Carl Makin wrote:
>

>Try booting -v and see how much farther it gets.  On my -current box,
>right after that is the pcibios/PIR probe, then the ACPI tree walk to
>attach devices.  Its possible the ACPI code in your system is fatally
>flawed.

I think that's it.  Weirdly it occasionally booted right through but
that was very rare.  Following the instructions on the FreeBSD ACPI
website I dumped the code and recompiled it with iasl.  It found one
warning about not returning a value to a function which a linux website
noted which I fixed.

With the new DSDT.asl installed it seems to boot on the second attempt.
It just hung on the "Timecounter" line again, but a reset then a verbose
boot and its booted all the way. <sigh>

Its now complaining of

can't fetch resources for \\_SB_.PCI0 - AE_AML_INVALID_RESOURCE_TYPE

It gives the same error message for PCI1 and PCI2 as well.

>Have you tried upgrading the BIOS?

Not yet.  I'll look and see if that is possible.  One problem is that
this box is designed and sold by IBM to run win2k as a NAS.  IMNSHO it
would be criminally negligent to run Win2K as a NAS so we've never put
it into production.  It's not supported like a normal PC and the IBM
website is pretty bad.

>>What I'm really after is a way of switching the fans to low speed as at
>>normal speed they are far too lound for a workgroup situation.
>>

>Interesting the BIOS wouldn't manage it in non-ACPI mode.

The fan speeds change, obviously under bios control, but the bios
settings expose no options to modify them.

I was hoping to use it as my desktop machine as it has dual 1.1Ghz PIII
Xeons but but it's way too noisy, so if I can't get the fan speeds
lowered then I guess I'll just disable ACPI and install it into the
computer room as a 5.2 test box. :)

Thanks,

Carl.