Re: panic: softdep_move_dependencies: need merge code

From: Kirk McKusick <mckusick_at_beastie.mckusick.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:29:24 -0800
	Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:56:57 -0700
	From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken_at_FreeBSD.org>
	To: current_at_FreeBSD.org
	Cc: mckusick_at_mckusick.com
	Subject: panic: softdep_move_dependencies: need merge code

	I ran into the following panic on a machine running -current from
	a week or two ago:

			panic("softdep_move_dependencies: need merge code");

	(see softdep_move_dependencies() in ffs_softdep.c)

	When this happened, I had a filesystem mounted and I was
	writing to it when the underlying storage device crashed.

	Around the time the device came back up, I got the above panic.

	Does anyone have any clues about this one?

	Thanks,

	Ken
	--
	Kenneth Merry
	ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG

This panic can happen when an I/O fails (e.g., returns EIO) and
the soft dependencies cannot be rolled back. Actually, they could
be rolled back, but the only time that this can occur is in the
face of an unrecoverable error from the storage media, so I did
not bother to write the (considerable amount of) code to do the
rollback.

	Kirk McKusick