Burncd going into D state in fixation phase

From: Jimmy Firewire <trigonometric_at_softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:35:35 -0000
Basically, has anyone had any problems with burncd going into D state during
the fixation phase, when burning multi-session CDs? This isn't really
related to CURRENT but might still be a problem in CURRENT. Here is the
message I originally posted somewhere else:

Version: 5.1 with a few CVS builds and custom kernel
Hardware worth mentioning: KT7A-RAID, AMD,
acd1: CD-RW <LITE-ON LTR-32123S> at ata1-slave PIO4

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I was burning some data:

mkisofs -max--iso9660-filenames -U -M /dev/acd1 -C `burcd -f /dev/acd1
msinfo` -o temp.iso "$FILENAME"
burncd -f /dev/acd1 -s max -m data temp.iso fixate

and burncd hung in the fixating phase. Now I'm sure I saw someone say
something about this before, but I couldn't find it.

The strange thing is I had burned 9 iso's onto this CD earlier on the
same day with no problem. This is the first CD I was burning with FreeBSD.

When it got stuck in fixating, there was no way to kill because the state
was D. I had to reboot.

The only thing I did different from the other times was I was using icewm
and I switched to a different desktop using CTRL-ALT-RIGHTARROW
to read some code, and then everything froze, it eventually unfroze but
then burncd was stuck in fixate.

The CD is now unwritable but the previously wrote data has not been lost.
Strangely du -h reports that 1.9M has been used, whereas df -h reports
that 136M has been used. The former is what I expected.

Is this a bug?

It is worth mentioning that I think my hardware is failing, this is why
I mentioned the KT7A-RAID. For example, the soundcard stopped working
in this machine, but it works in another machine, but it used to work
in this machine. So maybe the problem is a bug in my hardware?

But anyway, this is obviously somewhat troublesome to reproduce as if it
happens I will have to reboot.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

anonymousPseudonym