Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:36:51 -0600
At 2004-02-05T19:21:32Z, Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org> writes:

> My original post stated that this was working on 5.2-R.  This machine was
> also working at various points up to 5.1-R, at 5.1-R, and various points
> from 5.1-R to 5.2-R.  It's just after updating 5.2-R to -CURRENT that it's
> been broken.

Mine had been working from 5.0-something to about mid-September, then it
quit working permanently.  I only "fixed" the problem by swapping in a new
motherboard/CPU.

> The PR (at quick glance) seems to bring up issue with 5.2-RC.  It also
> states that PIO4 mode doesn't work.

At the end, PIO4 was in fact working and solid.  It was pretty flaky at the
time I filed the PR, but stabilized somewhat afterward.

> While my problem is still definitely with ATAng, I'm seeing very different
> behaviour, and at different points in the tree, than you.  I can't even boot
> in UDMA, but booting in PIO4 works just fine, even in a heavy load -- load
> average at about 6, compiling jdk14, X11-4-libraries, and world at the same
> time.

My gold standard was running Amanda backup.  During regular operation, when
in a UDMA mode, I'd see a few intermittent warnings and a rare crash.  When
I ran Amanda, my system would freeze - every time, guaranteed.  The same
operations in PIO4 were slow but completely successfully.
--
Kirk Strauser