Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:09:55 -0600
At 2004-02-05T19:36:12Z, Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk> writes:

> I do not known that, in fact I know it works on most chipsets...

I'm sure it does, but with all respect, several people on the list have
experienced similar problems with various unrelated chipsets.  In fact, the
PR in reference mentions the same issue on a VIA and an Intel controller.

> For above PR, please update to an upto date -current and let me know if
> you still have problems. If so please try booting without acpi etc etc..

I no longer have the ability to do so.  After running in PIO4 from September
through last week, I switched from an Asus P3V4X motherboard with a Pentium
3/933 CPU to an Asus A7V with a Thunderbird 1.4GHz CPU, at which point the
problems disappeared completely.  Note that the motherboard and CPU were,
literally, the only components replaced.  I kept the same RAM, cables, power
supply, drive, case screws - everything but the mb and CPU.

However, as of the day I made the switch (January 27) I was still unable to
operate the P3V4X in any UDMA mode with ACPI disabled.  I had attempted to
run a GENERIC kernel and slow add options to match the config I had been
using until I could find which options triggered the problem.  My first try
was to comment INVARIANTS* and WITNESS*, and that was enough to cause the
crashes (even with acpi disabled).  I never succeeded in building a
non-freezing kernel with any combination of options that didn't include
those debugging options (which I presume stabilized the system by making it
run more slowly, and therefore less likely to overload the ATA code).
--
Kirk Strauser