Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:51:23 -0500
(It's worth noting I haven't seen Soren's posts specifically, just Kirk's

Thus spake Kirk Strauser (kirk_at_strauser.com) [05/02/04 15:44]:
: > Let me rephrase, if ATA had such severe problems noone would be able to
: > use it. However I'm sure there are corner cases that has problems, there
: > always will be, and I'll fix them if possible.
:
: I've always been very careful to avoid even the appearance of assigning
: blame in favor of giving factual problem reports.  I understand that you
: can't possibly test every hardware combination being used.  However, I do
: think that the recent rash of ATA-related problems would seem to indicate
: that there may be a few general issues that aren't directly related to one
: exact set of hardware.
:
: I do appreciate the work you've done, and I certainly don't want to sound
: like I'm criticizing, but I've been having problems with my system and I've
: just been trying to report them as accurately as possible.

I'd also like to speak up that I have been most impressed with ATAng.  Five
machines that I updated didn't have any problems at all with the new code.
In fact, this is the first trouble I've had with ATA, and it still
technically works, just not as well as I'd like it to.

If Soren needs some testing grounds, I'm more than willing to put this
machine somewhere publicly accessible, and let him play.  I'll even hook up
a serial console, so crashes et al won't be lost.