Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:16:14 -0500
Thus spake Kirk Strauser (kirk_at_strauser.com) [05/02/04 16:05]:
: > I'm just finishing up a level 0 dump of all filesystems, and I'm running
: > pretty stable.  This isn't surprising, and it's in line with what you saw
: > -- running under PIO4 is stable, UDMA100 is not.
: >
: > Would it be worth it to try to force the system into UDMA66 or UDMA33?
:
: Well, it's certainly easy enough to experiment.  Use atacontrol's "mode"
: command to set whatever mode you'd like.  Try UDMA33 and hit the drive(s) as
: hard as you can.  If you don't get errors, bump it up to UDMA66 and try
: again.

Yeah, I started doing that shortly after I sent the mail.  I started at
UDMA100, as that's where I know my problem is.

A dump is zipping along just fine right now.  I have a real job to attend
to right now, so I'll pay a bit more attention to it later this evening.