Re: Problems with cron after upgrade

From: Bill Moran <wmoran_at_potentialtech.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:41:13 -0500
Tom Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I upgraded my 5.2-Current this morning to latest source I get error
> mails from cron containing info like this
>
> Cron <root_at_bart> root /usr/libexec/atrun
> root: not found
>
> and
>
> Cron <root_at_bart> operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy
> operator: not found
>
> etc.
>
> Anybody seen this before??

Yes.  You somehow got the system crontab to overwrite root's crontab.
You probably want to just remove root's crontab and use the system
crontab.

Read the docs concerning cron carefully for the official explanation,
but the quick explanation is: the system crontab has an extra field
that specifies the user to run the task as, user crontabs always
run the task as they user they were created by.  root's crontab is
no different than any other user's crontab.

Anyway, the field that specifies the user in the system crontab is
being interpreted as the command to run in the system crontab, thus
the error message.  Exactly how you got these two mixed up is
something I won't guess at, but it seems to be a fairly common
mistake.  A search of the archives would have yielded the answer.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies