Re: Processes blocked on getblk or ufs

From: Chris BeHanna <chris_at_behanna.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:38:02 -0500
On Thursday 05 February 2004 15:58, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
> > I have a machine sitting at the ddb prompt in exactly this
> > state. Anyone know how to dig something useful out of the
> > current state the buffer cache is in?  I know how to find out
> > what vnodes are locked but don't know how to go from that to
> > see what underlying buffers are causing the problem.
> >
> > I should be able to cause a dump of the machine as well but
> > it has 2Gb of memory in it so transferring the dump to
> > someone other than me who could look at it might be painful...
>
> Well...I went ahead an induced a dump (where the 2650 has been wedged in
> "getblk" since last installworld). Anyone want to take a look at it. It's a
> 1024M dump compressed to 171M.

    Since others are unlikely to have the exact same sources that you
have, it'd be best if you could do some preliminary poking yourself,
since your sources match your kernel.

    If you know any C, printing the contents of variables referenced
on the line that triggered the crash would be helpful.

gdb -k /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YOURKERNEL/kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0
gdb> bt
gdb> frame frame-number-just-before-the-trap-code
gdb> p some-interesting-variable

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)