Re: resolver issues: AAAA in ipv4 only environment

From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume_at_mahoroba.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:01:02 +0900
Hi,

guido> It seems there are a lot of broken named's on the Internet that do not
guido> answer to AAAA queries.

guido> I have a noteboo that sometimes is, and sometimes is not IPv6
guido> connected. However, I do not want to wait too long when on IPv4 only
guido> networks. So I would like to eiother have a resolveroption to
guido> specify not to ask for AAAA records, or have a smart resolver
guido> that figures out that it doesn't need to query AAAA records when
guido> only link local IPv6 addresses are found.

guido> I do not want to carrie around 2 kernels (one with and the other without
guido> ipv6).

guido> I'd like to have see some comments on this...

5-CURRENT has destnation address selection.  You can see A before AAAA
by putting following rule into your /etc/ip6addrctl.conf:

add ::1/128		50	0
add ::ffff:0:0/96	40	1
add ::/0		30	2
add 2002::/16		20	3
add ::/96		10	4

Sincerely,

--
Hajimu UMEMOTO _at_ Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama, Japan
ume_at_mahoroba.org  ume_at_{,jp.}FreeBSD.org