Re: usage() in install(1)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:28:44 +0100
In message <20040206100605.GB27888_at_FreeBSD.org.ua>, Ruslan Ermilov writes:

>Poul-Henning,
>
>I was very puzzled today trying to understand what is this line
>number that install(1) is telling me about, especially that I've
>just run it without any options, to see its usage.
>
>Please revert the part of the revision 1.62 where it was added.
>I have the following reasons why it shouldn't have been done:

I added it because the error messages from [x]install are singularly
uninformative and at least the line numbers could serve as "guru
meditation material".

The correct solution of course is to replace the totally uninformative
usage message which the program indiscriminatly spits out on any sort
of trouble with intelligent informative error messages.