Re: HEADS UP: libkse -> libpthread switch

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:29:48 -0800
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004, Scott Long wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
> >Yeah, I understand how it can happen, and I've even seen it on a
> >Solaris box.[1]  But Scott's message seems to imply that partially
> >statically linked binaries work right now, and that we need to
> >keep it that way moving into the next release, even at the expense
> >of potentially breaking fully dynamic binaries.  Perhaps he meant
> >something else.
> >

> No, not at all.  My point was that people are going to run into these
> hideous edge cases (netscape/mozilla plugins come to mind here), and
> our official stance should be to recompile the app.  The important thing
> with going into 5.3 is that these kinds of problems need to be very easy
> to diagnose by the user, and relatively easy to fix.  I don't want
> something that will obfuscate the problem or create a false sense of
> security.  The last thing we need is for the mailing lists to get
> flooded with people complaining that 5.3 isn't stable merely because
> of mis-behaving libraries.

I see.  So rather than having it ``just work'' 95% of the time and
fail in some bizarre way the other 5% of the time, the plan is to
declare a flag day and force everyone to bring their binaries to a
consistent state.  Though I don't entirely agree with that stance,
I can't dispute it given that I don't have to deal with the volume
of mail re_at_ must get over problems like this.  Thanks for the
clarification.