Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:14:10 +0100
Richard Coleman <richardcoleman_at_mindspring.com> writes:
> Although it's not urgent, I don't see why the aliasing problems can't
> be fixed.

Doing so is not always trivial.  We have a lot of legacy code that
plays pointer games that sometimes violate strict-aliasing rules.  We
also have a lot of legacy code that doesn't know about const but needs
to interact with more recent code that uses const, requiring dodgy
pointer casts (for instance, most of the aliasing problems in libpam
are const-related).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no