Re: 5.2 Install CD doesn't detect all scsi drives

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:03:14 -0500
On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 17:29, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> Using a zero-channel adaptec 2010s (U320) RAID card with the following
> setup:
>
> Bus 0: single IBM U320 36GB drive
> Bus 1: three Seagate U320 72GB drives set up as RAID 5
>
> (Where Bus corresponds to the SCSI channel on the Mobo - Supermicro)
>
> Booting from the 5.2-Release CD and during setup, the disk partition
> utility only sees the RAID configuration and not the one drive. The idea
> was to install the system, etc on the lone drive and the large RAID was
> to be used for a data spool. I have tried various configs with the
> adaptec SMOR to no avail.

It turns out that the FreeBSD 4.9-Stable install cd correctly identifies
the single drive as da0 and the RAID as da1 and allows for separate
configuration of each, so at least I will be able to use this box with
FreeBSD :-) .... It would be nice to use 5.2 (and eventually 5.3 with
the new threading) however, and I am curious as to what changed between
4 and 5 that is preventing 5 from properly recognizing this particular
setup.

Enabling boot logging reveals the following:
DEBUG: deviceTry: attempting to open /dev/da0
DEBUG: deviceTry: open of /dev/da0 succeeded on first try
DEBUG: deviceTry: attempting to open /dev/da1
DEBUG: deviceTry: making raw device for /dev/da1 [13,65546]
DEBUG: deviceTry: final attempt for /mnt/dev/da1 returns -1

This occurs with 5.2.1-RC install CD as well

Sven