Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Roop Nanuwa <roop_at_hqst.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:08:08 -0800
Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:11:58AM -0500, Richard Coleman wrote:
>

>>Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>>Don't do that then :-)
>>>
>>>Kris
>>>

>>Although it's not urgent, I don't see why the aliasing problems can't be
>>fixed.  I think it would be more honest if the party line was "FreeBSD
>>has bugs, so we can't use -O2 right now" rather than the standard reply
>>of "-O2 is not supported, don't even try".
>>

>It's "don't even try unless you plan to fix them".
>
>Kris

I did a buildworld earlier today with -O2 on and had to modify about 4
makefiles to
get it to compile. That's not too bad. I already submitted a patch to
fix one (libexec/ypxfr) of them.
Working on a second one (libc/isinf) now. Both of these are relatively
trivial. On the other hand,
one of the last two left is in libpam and I don't think I can even begin
to fix that, though. Hopefully
someone more familiar with it will be able to take a crack at it sooner
or later.

--roop