Re: afraid of portupgrade -ra

From: Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:10:02 -0600
Jake Khuon wrote:
> I have not done a cvsup and buildworld since the threading move in the ports
> tree was made.  Is it okay for me to do a cvsup and buildworld WITHOUT doing
> a portupgrade -ra?  Will I break any of my existing applications?  The
> reason I ask is because on my laptop, I've installed a lot of ports... as in
> somewhere around 6500.  While I typically install only what I need, my
> philosophy with my laptop was that I also typically end up in situations
> where I'll need something and not have the connectivity to download a
> package or grab the ports source to compile.  So now I'm faced with having
> my machine crunch through quite a few ports... not all of which I'm
> confident will build correctly.

First, you'll want `portupgrade -raf'.  Second, it might be better to
just start over anew.  Blowing everything away and starting fresh with
the latest JPSNAP has given me excellent results.  Of course, I have a
desktop with multiple hard drives.

If this stuff freaks you out, don't run -current.  Especially on a
machine you'll need to have working!  ;-)

Pete...