cdrom boot hangs in a different way others reported

From: Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot_at_lphp.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:48:47 +0100
Hi :)

I know there're problem with the recent ATA code and cdrom drives on booting,
but I can't find any references to the problem I'm having in the list
archives.
Basically, I have a cdrom plugged-in as a slave on the primary IDE controller.
When booting 5.2-p2, it just hangs right after:
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 2399932036 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

I get no panic, no error, no message... well no nothing, it just stays like
this for hours...
I tried to boot with a CD in the drive, but it does not work either.
My drive is a "LG GCR-8523B".

Thanks for any idea on making this thing works...
Regards,

Antoine