Re: wireless adhoc

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:33:45 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, mikecasa_at_katamail.com wrote:

> I have a little problem, I have to run a mobile adhoc network, but i don't konw what card PCI i have to buy.
> I saw that freebsd support chipset atheros, but i want to be sure what i buy.
>
> Have you just realized such mobile network?

Your choices for 802.11g are rather limited as far as chipsets go. I'd
recommend anything that's based on the atheros. If you want to use native
FreeBSD drivers, stay clear of Broadcom-based cards. If you end up buying
something that isn't supported yet, you can give the NDISulator ("Project
Evil") a spin. It'll let you use the Windows driver through an emulation
shim.

If you're only looking for 802.11b, you have a number of choices. I'd get
a Prism-based or Cisco Aironet 35x-series set of cards.

Regards,
Andy