ATA related lockup in 5.2-RELEASE

From: Scott Boone <sboone_at_cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:52:53 -0800
I am getting some weird freezes with 5.2-RELEASE.  I think they are
related to the ATA driver.  I have a Promise Ultra 100/TX2.  I am using
the cable that came with my disk so I assume it is correct.

My system boots all right to an IDE disk.  If I try moving a file
bigger than 1.5 megs or so onto the ATA drive, the system completely
locks up.  Small (e.g. 30k) files can be moved onto the ATA drive and
read with 'more'.

I am more than happy to run tests to help diagnose this issue, but I am
not seeing anything unusual in the log files; it's a total instant
freeze (sometimes a spontaneous reboot).

Scott