Re: 5.2 Install CD doesn't detect all scsi drives

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:05:02 -0700
Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 16:38, Sven Willenberger wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:51, Doug White wrote:
>>
>>>Try this. At the sysinstall menu, hit scroll lock, then arrow up and check
>>>out the asr probe messages.  It'd be extra neat if you could capture them
>>>with a serial console.
>>>

>>Having issues outputting to console (minicom on another FreeBSD box)
>>from the install CD so here is the output I copied instead:
>>
>>asr0: <ADAPTEC Caching SCSI RAID> mem
>>0xfc000000-0xfdffffff,0xfb000000-0xfbffffff,0xf8300000-0xf82fffff irq24
>>at device 1.0 on pci3
>>asr0: major=154
>>pcib3: device asr0 requested decoded memory range 0xf8300000-0xf83fffff
>>pcib1: device asr0 requested decoded memory range 0xf8300000-0xf83fffff
>>pcib3: device asr0 requested decoded memory range 0xfb000000-0xfb400000
>>pcib1: device asr0 requested decoded memory range 0xfb000000-0xfb400000
>>.
>>.
>>--other devices listed here
>>.
>>.
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Data Overrun
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Data Overrun
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Data Overrun
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Data Overrun
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Data Overrun
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): error 5
>>(probe0:asr0:0:0:0): Retries Exhausted
>>pass0 at asr0 bus 1 target 1 lun 0
>>pass0: <ADAPTEC RAID-5 3B05> Fixed DirectAccess SCSI-2 Device
>>pass0: Serial Number +
>>pass0: Tagged Queueing Enabled
>>GEOM: create disk da0 dp=0xc6fd0850
>>GEOM: new disk da0
>>da0 at asr0 bus 1 target 1 lun 0
>>da0: <ADAPTEC RAID-5 3B05> Fixed DirectAccess SCSI-2 Device
>>da0: Serial Number +
>>

>>>Next, hit scroll lock to get the screen back, then go to Fixit, then
>>>Shell. Run '/stand/camcontrol devlist -v' and paste us the output.  That
>>>should show the two disk devices.
>>>

>>/stand/camcontrol devlist -v
>>scbus0 on asr0 bus 0:
>><  >			at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
>>scbus1 on asr0 bus 1:
>><ADAPTEC RAID-5 3B05>	at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
>><  >			at scbus1 target -1 lun -1 ()
>>scbus-1 on xpt0
>><  >			at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
>

> To see if this was something specific to sysinstall, I installed
> 4.9-stable (which works fine in detecting everything), cvsupped
> RELENG_5_1 went through the buildworld, etc (per UPDATING) and then went
> to reboot. With the new kernel in place, (i.e. /boot/default/loader.conf
> loads up with 5.1-P13 on screen) the lone drive is once again not found.
> Actually the same error from Probe0 occurs, namely data overrun, and the
> OS cannot be loaded (no root). Unfortunately, even though I enabled
> console redirect in the bios, it stops outputting once the loader starts
> [...]

The psuedo-passthrough mode for the 'non-raid' channel must not like how
our SCSI layer is performing it's probe.  I put 'non-raid' in quotes
because it is evident from the camcontrol output that the asr hardware
is controlling both channels.  I'll have to take a look at this when I
have more time.  But for now, I don't have any suggestions.

Scott