Re: question on mergemaster

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:01:40 -0800 (PST)
Just catching up on some old mail.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Richard Todd wrote:

> Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> >What about a file "mergemaster_ignore" where I put in the six or
> >seven names of files that should never be touched?
>
> You can do this already with a little fiddling with the .mergemasterrc file.
> I have a /root/.mergemasterrc file that looks like this:
> ------------------------
> MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT=/usr/local/bin/mergemaster_precompare
> ------------------------
>
> MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT specifies a script that gets run after the temproot
> dir gets populated but before mergemaster starts comparing it against the
> current /etc contents. My /usr/local/bin/mergemaster_precompare looks like
> this:
> ------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
> cd /var/tmp/temproot
> rm etc/master.passwd etc/group etc/ppp/ppp.conf etc/mail/aliases etc/amd.map etc/hosts
> ------------------------
> which removes those files from the set of "new" files mergemaster considers
> possibly installing.

It's nice to see that someone reads the man page. :)  I have a
pre-compare script that handles both sides of the equation:

#!/bin/sh

# NOTE: No PATH needed, because mm's PATH is already draconian enough

case "${PRE_WORLD}" in
'')
        rm -f /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/motd
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/PROTO.* ${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/named.* \
                ${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/make-localhost
        ;;
esac

The first file is deleted from /etc/defaults because I always want to
install the new one. The other files are deleted from TEMPROOT because I
don't want mm to fiddle with them.

HTH,

Doug