Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:54:20 -0800
On Wed, Feb 11, 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:31:46AM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Roop Nanuwa wrote:
> >
> > >one of the last two left is in libpam and I don't think I can even begin
> > >to fix that, though. Hopefully
> > >someone more familiar with it will be able to take a crack at it sooner
> > >or later.
> >
> > This is interesting - I just compiled lib/libpam with -O2 on RELENG_5_1
> > and it went without a glitch. Maybe you could hunt it down through the
> > cvs versions?
>
> I think that's a red herring.  Either the compiler changed to start
> generating this warning or something else did, but it wasn't due to a
> change in the PAM code.

gcc started caring about aliasing around version 3.0.  Initially,
if you used -fstrict-aliasing on code that had aliasing problems,
there was a chance that it would silently generate bad code.  More
recently, gcc has learned how to detect a number of aliasing
problems and warn about them.  It is true that world no longer
builds with -O2 on i386 *unless* you define NO_WERROR or set WARNS
low enough.