Re: Upgrading world from 5.0-dp1 to 5.1-RELEASE

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:19:08 +0100
From: "Ruslan Ermilov" <ru_at_freebsd.org>
= On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:47:30AM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
= [...]
= > On the other hand this part only suggest to mount the partitions of the
= > system to be upgraded. Which would prevent some/all of the make snags.
= > disavantage is that you have to mess around with make.conf.
= > The handbook suggests NFS upgrading/updating the way I did it, which feels
= > more natural.
= >
= The essential part here is to install and reboot with your new
= kernel before doing an installworld.  Since you didn't do it
= you've got what you deserved -- SIGSYS (signal 12).

Not quite.....

But that was indicated in the message where I reported my adventures
on installing the new kernel the same way.

I rebooted and was presented with lots of messages suggestion I'd
install a new world as well. Things like: "userland call ........"

And the even more wierd thing is that:
    make installworld
does not work, and generates a signal 12 with the install(1) it uses.

But:
    /usr/obj/usr/src51/src/make.i386/make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall
does not suffer from this problem.
Also just going into those directories and do:
    make install
gets the work done.

So I think somewhere in there the wrong install is being used.

But manually updating /usr/bin/install first with a new version
does not help either. ???

And at that point I felt I got into the stage where the answer would be:
    "too far of the beaten track, just don't do it that way"
And dug through the Makefiles and found 'reinstall' in Makefile.inc1

--WjW