Re: Mandrake 10 Beta Versus FreeBSD 5.2

From: Brett Wildermoth <B.Wildermoth_at_griffith.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:06:44 +1000
Hi,

DRI was not enabled on either machine, when it was enabled it had no
effect on the FreeBSD machine however had a negative effect on the
Mandrake machine, dropping the frame rate to 238 frames per second....
There currently is no 3D acceleration for the Intel 84G on board video.
I am currently running a numerical benchmark test on these machines and
well let you know the results.
Regards
Brett Wildermoth

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 04:25, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 12:56 am, Brett Wildermoth wrote:
> > Just thought I'd let you all know of my new discovery
> >
> > On two identical DELL Optiplex GX270 3.0GHz machines I installed
> > Mandrake 10 Beta on one and FreeBSD 5.2 on the other. I ran "glxgears"
> > on both and here are the results
> >
> > Mandrake 10: 388 Frames per Second
> > FreeBSD 5.2: 644 Frames per Second (almost twice the performance)
> >
> > What they say about FreeBSD is true, it is faster than LINUX, especially
> > since the LINUX kernel put on weight.
>
> Probably you didn't have DRI turned on in Mandrake and did on FreeBSD somehow.

"You're not out of shape... because technically a circle is a shape."
Scott Adams, 2003.