Re: Upgrading world from 5.0-dp1 to 5.1-RELEASE

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:50:45 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des_at_des.no>
> "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw_at_withagen.nl> writes:
> > > RTFU (hint: COMPAT_FREEBSD4)
> > It will not solve the problems with bootstrapping the first 5.1 kernel
though.

> RTFU again, especially the part about booting from the new kernel
> before trying make installworld.

I started this discussion to see I could ehnace either my knowlegde and/or
improve on the upgrade strategy for doing upgrades via NFS.
being suggested RTFU several times now, I think I'm going to print it.
Put it under my pillow during next week's vacation, and see if I've returned
any wiser. :)

Just for my info and understanding:
    signal 12:
    #define SIGSYS          12      /* non-existent system call invoked */

So that suggests running an install(1) calling the kernel, but the kernel
is not recent enough to have that call onboard.

Correct??
So that could mean a 5.2_install trying to run on a 5.1 kernel??

thusfar thanx for all the help....

--WjW