Re: 5.2.1-RC issues: good and bad

From: Robin Schoonover <end_at_endif.cjb.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:02:51 -0700
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:55:31 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Robin Schoonover wrote:
> > APIC didn't like me in 5.2, and it still doesn't like me in 5.2.1 (vr0
> > complains of watchdog timeout and fails to work) I've turned it off in
> > the bios, so freebsd doesn't get to use that.  (Which is okay, I
> > guess?)
> >

> Does the APIC work any better if you move forward to 5.2-CURRENT?  There
> is at least one APIC fix in HEAD that isn't in RELENG_5_2, but I'm not
> sure how safe it is to backport.

I'm reluctant to move -completely- to current, so I downloaded the latest
JPSNAP cdboot so I could just boot that and see if that worked.  It
wouldn't even boot in the first place. I guess the cd itself might not have
been bootable?  (A few short lines were printed out before the computer
quickly rebooted itself). I'll look into it more tonight if I have the
time.

> > Fortunately, X works again in 5.2.1.  With 5.2, nv AND nvidia driver
> > were having trouble giving me a resolution higher than 640x480.  (I
> > haven't heard/seen any changes that would have fixed this, but somehow
> > it works again...)
> >
> > Two things are giving me i386_set_ldt warnings:
> >  o nvidia's drivers (XFree86)
>
> This actually comes from the nvidia GL library, not the driver.  And no,
> it's not going to go away until FreeBSD and nVidia come to a compromise
> on how to do thread local storage.  It's only a problem if you use
> libthr or libkse/libpthread right now, and neither are enabled by
> default in 5.2.1

I got a warning from the XFree86 process, so I think the nvidia XFree86
driver was giving me that somehow (I don't think I got it when I tried
the nv XFree86 driver, but I'm not entirely sure about that).

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
# "The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty.  You might want to mug