Re: Success - KDE 3.2 running on FreeBSD 5.1 Current

From: Michael Dunham <michaeldunham_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:40:21 -0800
toxa wrote:

>>So there is definately something  taking resources because it shouldn't
>>be much different than before the upgrade.  Is there are a hardware
>>error that isn't resolved?  There are some new things in KDE that will
>>certainly bring out hardware configuration errors you haven't found
>>before.  I am now chasing errors in the arts port.
>>
>>Regards
>>Mike
>>

>My hardware is quite fast, 2GHz p4, 512 mb ram, radeon mobility M6 (as this
>is a notebook). And everything was OK with 3.1.4, everything is OK with
>xfce4 now, so this is NOT hw troubles absolutely. And I haven't any huge
>processes eating cpu, neither compiling something, nor having zombie
>processes. But KDE startup time is about 1 min long (3.1.4 was approx. 10-15
>sec.), and random applications starts slowly at first time (as i wrote
>above). Moreover, sometimes kde shows  me "cannot open /dev/dsp" message
>after startup. I can show  console output from tty where startx was typed,
>if anyone wants, there are a lot of msgs on it...

Toxa

I'm getting the cannot open /dev/dsp message too right now.  But that
hasn't caused any problems running KDE or X.  I know it is related to
the arts port, but I haven't tracked down any solution yet.

Your hardware is light years ahead of mine.  Mine rides on an aging
Celeron 500mhz and 256mb.  I'm not having any problems with speed so
there has to be something conflicting on your machine somewhere.  I
would suggest if you can put the console output up, that might spark
some thoughts.  But let's put it in a new thread so it gets some
attention.

Regards

Mike