Re: New kernel resets immediately

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:19:18 +0200
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:39:53PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:31:33PM +0100, Alex Dupre wrote:
> > Lukas Ertl wrote:
> >
> > >Previous kernel was from Feb 6, and that one works fine.
> >
> > I confirm the problem. My old working kernel is dated Feb 9.
>
> "Me too"
>
> A kernel built from sources just before the commit by ru_at_ (see below) still
> boots, I'm in the process of building one with only those commits added
> (cvs co -D "2004/02/11 09:30:00 GMT" I believe). Will post an update if
> that commit is the culprit, otherwise I'll binary search for the broken
> code.
>
> BTW I suspect this one because it's the most recent loader change I could
> find.

My commit touches boot code only, no kernel i involved, yet things
have been binary compared.  I've made one mistake though (fixed
yesterday) that caused /usr/lib/kgzldr.o to be stripped, thus the
kgzipped loader(8) wasn't functional.  But this was only visible
if you attempted to boot with ISO image.

So if you're not cdbooting or cdbooting and see the loader prompt,
my commit is not the culprit.

P.S. I know that PHK has backed out his change to syscons.c that
caused the reboot.  I'm replying only to attract some more
attention to the problem I introduced with cdbooting on Feb 11,
and that was fixed yesterday.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov