Re: usb devices and devfs settings

From: Guido van Rooij <guido_at_gvr.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:32:53 +0100
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:07:04AM -0500, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> > Indeed. However, I don't really understand the purpos of devfs.conf
> > then: why a one time bootup config file, when you have a mechanism
> > that works like in devfs(8)? Why not rewrite devfs.conf in the
> > devfs(8) way, load the rulesets and do an apply?
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't change the permissions of already-created device
> nodes.

It does. With applyset:

     Note that if any such nodes already exist, their
     mode will not be changed unless this rule (or ruleset) is explicitly
     applied (see below).  The mode will be changed if the node is created
     after the rule is added (e.g., the atspeaker module is loaded after the
     above rule is added).

           devfs rule applyset

     Apply all the rules in the current ruleset to all the existing nodes.

-Guido