RE: experiences using "options SCHED_ULE"

From: Evan Dower <evantd_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:13:52 -0800
Indeed, my daily buildworld routine usually takes somewhere around 2 hours.
Today it was closer to 3 hours. I experience reduced interactivity. The
pointer (choppily) follows the mouse instead of moving with it. Many times
when this is happening, I can look at top and see that two processes (one
for each processor) are taking over 90% of the processor time each. These
processes are Standford's Folding_at_Home client which has nice = 20. Certainly
processes with nice = 20 shouldn't keep my mouse from moving smoothly. At
first I thought this was only when the system hadn't been used interactively
for a while, but since then I've noticed that it happens whenever it feels
like it. I tried using idprio on the processes, but that requires root
(which I have but shouldn't be forced to use for this), and I experienced a
system freeze shortly thereafter (the first system freeze since the last
time I tried the nvidia-driver).
I hope there's something helpful in here,
--
Evan Dower
Undergraduate, Computer Science