Re: Vinum dumpconfig returns nothing ?!?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:56:11 +1030
On Friday, 13 February 2004 at 10:43:45 -0500, Vincent Rioux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup a software raid5 volume using Vinum on FreeBSD 5.2.
> So far I did successfully complete these tasks :
>

> - Created the config file :
> drive d0 device /dev/ad10
> drive d1 device /dev/ad11
> (etc)

These are disk devices, not disk partitions.  From the man page:

DRIVE LAYOUT CONSIDERATIONS
     vinum drives are currently BSD disk partitions.  They must be of type
     vinum in order to avoid overwriting data used for other purposes.  Use
     disklabel -e to edit a partition type definition.  The following display
     shows a typical partition layout as shown by disklabel(8):

     8 partitions:
     #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
       a:    81920   344064    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  240*- 297*)
       b:   262144    81920      swap                        # (Cyl.   57*- 240*)
       c:  4226725        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 2955*)
       e:    81920        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 57*)
       f:  1900000   425984    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  297*- 1626*)
       g:  1900741  2325984     vinum        0     0     0   # (Cyl. 1626*- 2955*)

     In this example, partition ``g'' may be used as a vinum partition.  Par-
     titions ``a'', ``e'' and ``f'' may be used as UFS file systems or ccd
     partitions.  Partition ``b'' is a swap partition, and partition ``c''
     represents the whole disk and should not be used for any other purpose.

>   plex org raid5 433k

The stripe size should be a multiple of the UFS block size, normally
16 kB.  Not doing so will not stop Vinum working, but it will impact
on the performance.

> Now the problem is that everytime I reboot the machine to test if
> the volume automounts correctly (yes, start_vinum="YES" is in
> rc.conf), all the configuration is lost and I must recreate and
> reinitialize the volume (effectively losing all my data)...

Well, no, just not finding it.  It's all still there.

> Now what's weird, just after setting everything up and finishing
> initializing the volume, I just can't seem to be able to dump the
> config from the disks!

This is a bug introduced in Vinum as the result of some recent changes
in the bio layer.  Previously it would have refused to create the
drives unless they were a partition of type "vinum".

> Even if I do a saveconfig (which I shouldn't have to do since
> config. updates are not disabled), there's nothing returned from
> dumpconfig! :
> vinum -> saveconfig
> vinum -> dumpconfig

Yes, if you don't have a configuration, you don't save anything.

On Friday, 13 February 2004 at 17:04:45 +0100, Dag-Erling Smrgrav wrote:
> "Vincent Rioux" <vrioux_at_centrenad.com> writes:
>> I am trying to setup a software raid5 volume using Vinum on FreeBSD 5.2.
>
> Vinum does not play along with GEOM and should therefore be considered
> broken in 5.x.

No, that is not correct.  The only thing that doesn't work is swap on
a Vinum volume.

> Lukas Ertl is working on adapting Vinum to GEOM; see the
> freebsd-geom list archives for more details.

That is correct.

Greg