Re: Missing XL0 and USB printer after upgrade (WORKAROUND)

From: Tom Parquette <BCSFD204_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:17:47 -0500
Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:18:59PM -0500, Tom Parquette wrote:
>
>>Bernd Walter wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:51:15PM -0500, Tom Parquette wrote:
>>>Are you absolutely shure that the kernel was compiled with the config
>>>file you've check for xl and ulpt existence?
>>>At least kldstat undoubtly showed that the kernel you have booted is
>>>without!
>>
>>This is the section from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/P3R-272 for the xl0 card:
>>device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da
>>device          miibus          # MII bus support
>>device          xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
>>device          random          # Entropy device
>>
>>And this is my USB section from the same config file:
>>device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
>>device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
>>device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
>>#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
>>device          ugen            # Generic
>>device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
>>device          ukbd            # Keyboard
>>device          ulpt            # Printer
>>device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
>>device          ums             # Mouse
>>device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
>>device          uscanner        # Scanners
>>device          aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
>>device          cue             # CATC USB ethernet
>>device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
>>device          firewire        # FireWire bus code
>>device          sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
>>device          fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
>

> I still don't think that the kernel you are running was compiled with
> those options.
> kldstat -v should show them if they were compiled in.

OK.  I did some more playing and I found something strange.
P3R-272 is my house server.  Amoung other things, I use it to "make
buildworld" and "make buildkernel" for all of the machines I have.
After the builds are done, I do the installs over the network.
This has been working until I ran into this situation.

Normally my /etc/make.conf reads:
$ more /etc/make.conf
# Local additions for P3R-272
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COMPAT1X=       yes
COMPAT20=       yes
COMPAT21=       yes
COMPAT22=       yes
COMPAT3X=       yes
COMPAT4X=       yes
KERNCONF=P2A-018 P3R-272 GENERIC STARGATE
#LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT= YES
#MAKE_KERBEROS4=        yes
#ENABLE_SUID_K5SU= yes

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Wed Sep  3 02:34:12 2003
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

$

Coded this way, I have the failure.
If I change the KERNCONF= value to
KERNCONF=P3R-272
#KERNCONF=P2A-018 P3R-272 GENERIC STARGATE
(In other words, compile the kernel for just this machine instead of all
of them) The machine works normally.  e.g., xl0 and xl1 are located and
the usb printer works!

P2A-018 is a copy of the "failing" P3R-272 kernel with these changes:
I changed the kernel name
I removed SMP support
I removed firewire and USB support
I added Xircom support.
I made these changes because this was going to be a kerberus sanbox on
an old Toshiba Tecra 510CDT laptop.

I've been using a process similar to the one overviewed in the FBSD
Handbook section 21.5.1.  Reviewing this section, I seem to have
rediscovered "...and the build machine should list them all in KERNCONF,
listing its own kernel first."

I do not know why this would make a difference but I'm going to change
the order in /etc/make.conf and let the compile run overnight.  :-/
It's starting to look like I may have a lead on my problem.
Cheers...