Re: 5.2.1-RC1 and RC2

From: Kent Stewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:16:13 -0800
On Sunday 15 February 2004 07:04 pm, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2004 09:00 pm, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> > > Is is me? Or has something changed in 5.2 that tends to make
> > > systems freeze up during portupgrade? Mainly - KDE-3.2.0
> > >
> > > That being said, I seem to be seeing this more often on other
> > > upgrades. Strange thing is, I considered it to be my PC however,
> > > I never seem to run into the total freeze when doing a
> > > buildworld.
> >
> > No trouble here upgrading 5.2 to current on my desktop and no
> > trouble upgrading my 5.2p1 to 5.2RC2 on my server.  I suspect your
> > problem is hardware or driver related.
> >
> > Tom Veldhouse
>
> Tom,
>
> 	My upgrades (5.2.1 -> 5.2.1-RC1 -> 5.2.1-RC2) went flawless. The
> issues I'm having is during portupgrade.
>
> Kent,
> 	Interesting - I did as you advised. I am typically running between
> 113 and 125 degrees (F) My AMD did come with a fan. Perchance I ought
> to look into alternative cooling?

Mine ran like that for 53 weeks. The warranty was for 52. When it died,
it litterally blew one of the voltage regulator ICs on the motherboard.
All I saw was a flash of light at the same time as a loud bang and the
top right corner of the IC disappeared. Out was towards me but I didn't
feel it hit nor could I find it.

The current fans look like the Antec fans you can see in a Circuit City
or Best Buy. You can mail order them but I think I would buy one sooner
than that :). You have been having problems for quite a while now and
that may be what is going on.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart