Re: Scheduling deadlock on alpha?

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:18:22 +0100
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:58:40PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> One of the alpha package machines seems to have deadlocked; no
> processes are running, but the kernel itself responds to pings, and I
> can break to DDB:

How long have you waited?
It seems that the system was busy waiting for page faults and swap.
I've seen conditions lately where this can block the system for a very
long time in case there is not enough memory free.
The number of processes point to memory stress.
I asume you had no chance to take a lock at the disk lights?
Havn't looked any deeper into that issue yet because my system uses md
based swap in a file and I wanted to recheck with conventional swap
partition first.

> FreeBSD axp1.FreeBSD.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan 21 13:30:26 PST 2004     kris_at_bento.FreeBSD.org:/local0/obj/alpha/a/asami/portbuild/alpha/src-client/sys/NETBOOT  alpha
>
> Scheduler is 4BSD.

My system is from 25th jan but is running ULE.
Don't remember the version I was running bevor but it did not
show this behavour.

ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de