Re: Scheduling deadlock on alpha?

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:26:42 -0500
At 9:58 PM -0800 2/15/04, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>One of the alpha package machines seems to have deadlocked; no
>processes are running, but the kernel itself responds to pings,
>and I can break to DDB:   ...etc...
>

>WITNESS was not enabled, and the machines are running
>
>FreeBSD axp1.FreeBSD.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan
>21 13:30:26 PST 2004
>kris_at_bento.FreeBSD.org:/local0/obj/alpha/a/asami/portbuild/alpha/src-client/sys/NETBOOT
>alpha
>
>Scheduler is 4BSD.

Hmm.  Interesting.  UP or SMP?

As an interesting coincidence, I had my dual-Athlon machine lock
up on me at about 5am on Sunday.  I didn't realize it was down
until I needed to use that machine for something, so I just
rebooted the machine without doing much investigation.  I had to
turn the machine off and back on to get it's attention (ctrl-alt-
delete was ignored).

WITNESS is not enabled, and the machine is running:

FreeBSD santropez.netel.rpi.edu 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0:
Wed Jan 21 23:28:30 EST 2004
root_at_santropez.netel.rpi.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Dual-Athlon2k  i386

The machine had run continuously from the time I did that last
installworld/installkernel, without any reboots.  It was running
some Folding_at_Home clients, so it would have racked up a lot of CPU
time.  Other than those clients, it should have been pretty idle for
a few hours before it hung up.  It NFS-exports some directories to
another system, but that other system did not have the directories
mounted at the time of the crash.

I really doubt it's related, but it is interesting that both machines
happen to have kernels from the same day...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org