Soft updates problems with 5.2.1-RC1

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:37:53 -0500
I was just replying to this message when my system crashed again.

Greg> A couple of days ago, a large company here in Adelaide installed
Greg> 5.2.1-RC1 on their main Internet gateway :-( They're having
Greg> problems, which I'm looking at in conjunction with Andrew
Greg> Rutherford (copied).  Looking for the problems is complicated by
Greg> the fact that the machine has to be kept running.

I have -CURRENT on my laptop and I've found that rather recently that
filesystem stress like building multiple ports concurrently
... especially if one of them is openoffice ... often crashes the
machine or induces manual-fsck-needing filesystem repair.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything more concrete, or I would have
posted.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |