Re: rc.d missing source comments.

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:46:24 +0300
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:07:59PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I just opened /etc/rc.d/nfslocking and had no clue as to what it does.
>
> There is not a single comment explaining the logic.
>
> Would it be possible for some amount of comments to be added?
>
> (honestly I've had an easier time tracking down what SYSV init
> scripts do)

The rc.d scripts have a lot of stuff that is done automagically.
You should read rc(8) and rc.subr(8). Those two man pages almost
completely document the general rc.d mechanism. I say "almost" because
some newer routines in /etc/rc.subr are not documented in the man
page yet, and because some individual scripts that offer extra
functionality (like rc.d/netif) are not documented yet.

While there are some small things that should probably be documented
in rc.d/nfslocking if you have read those two man pages it should be
very easy to figure out. The main difference from other rc.d scripts is
that it is used to start several daemons, instead of just one (I
will comment that shortly).

I don't mean to suggest that rc.d is as well documented as it ought to
be. But, I do think it is well documented enough that anyone who has
read the man pages should be able to understand the individual scripts.
We do accept suggestions for improvement and we do try to document stuff
as we go along, but this is, after all, a volunteer effort and we suffer
from the same time and monetary (i.e. day job) constraints as everyone else
in the project.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm_at_identd.net | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55