Re: UTF-8 problems

From: Wilhelm B. Kloke <wb_at_arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:59:25 +0000 (UTC)
In article <20040218105807.GA30854_at_cat.robbins.dropbear.id.au>,
Tim Robbins  <tjr_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:26:46PM +0000, Wilhelm B. Kloke wrote:
>
>> Man page output is crippled, when LANG=de_DE.UTF-8.
>> This is corrected by loading a current less.
>>
>> vi does not work correctly on Umlauts.
>> I am not sure whether updating ncurses is sufficient;
>> or whether updating vi also is needed,
>> or both are insufficient.
>
>Both of these are probably caused by incorrect handling of multibyte
>characters in less & vi. Many of the text-processing utilities in the
>base system also share this problem. You could try using an ISO 8859
>locale instead, or try using Vim (which probably supports UTF-8)
>instead of nvi.

Yes. I found this out myself already. The UTF-8 stuff should be fixed,
though. ISO8859 is a solution, but only for the past. I have used it for years,
but now I found enough reasons for change, sufficient for me.

A better solution for the editor problem is sam or wily, both using
Unicode as thier native code.

What about our far eastern users?

At least, the 8bit limitation should be properly documented, as the
7bit limit has (better had) in earlier times.
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund