Re: Review/Test: Pseudo-device unit number management patch

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:09:31 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <39796.1077013415_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
>             "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> : Current our handing is that if it disappears, it's gone, if it comes
> : back it's probably a new one anyway.
>
> Yes.  If the hardware goes away and comes back, it can be very
> difficult to know if you have the same hardware or different
> hardware.  This is less true of network cards, but definitely true of
> CF cards (which can easily be identical from inspection, but have
> different contents).

The likes of ATA disks include serial numbers in words 10-19. These could
be used to positively identify a drive when its availability has come
into question. From what I recall, CF cards use an ATA-like command set.
Wouldn't it be possible to get the serial number and model from them for
positive identification?

Regards,
Andy