Re: 5.2.1-RC2-i386-disc1.iso + minimimal inst: libssl fails

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_flat.berklix.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:27:41 +0100
Scott Long wrote:
> Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> >>I confirm that's the MD5 I have.
> >>
> >>Minor error:
> >>
> >>I selected "install minimal configuration" or words to that effect,
> >>selected aiuto partition sizes, on a half virgin disc (IE just MS
> >>crap from a previous disc owner, but no previous older BSD to
> >>confuse) Then said No to every option I could, for a quick minimal
> >>install.  After it installed (on a 586 laptop) It booted multi user
> >>with this before login:
> >>
> >>	Configuring syscons: blanktime.
> >>	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found
> >>	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found
> >>	Initial i386 initialization:.
> >>
> >>It's now multi user.  I'm not in a position to repeat after possible
> >>fixes, testing with a possible new iso.  I want my laptop with new
> >>disc usable again, so will load more bins & src by hand & do a make
> >>world.
>
> I just did a minimal install and I'm not seeing this problem at all.

After a "cd /usr/src ; make install" it no longer errors on reboot.

I'll try to retest this on a spare m.board (as my laptop is now in
use, & not available for test. However, 1st mboard I tried on doesnt
like 5 series boot, so I''l switch to another board eith a BIOS
that may like 5 series boot (emul/non emul).
If I can reproduce it, I'll report.

> > 2 silent hangs: 2nd after ftp put'ing from my faster 4.9 host to
> > my slower older 5.2.1-RC2 laptop, just on 33M of my 1G tar, while
> > rebuilding my laptop (after removing a 4G disc with 5.2 & installing
> > a 5G drive with 5.2.1-RC2.
> >
> > Doing a get from the 5.2.1-RC2 slower laptop works better.
> > (neither host or net running anything else load- notasble either time,
> > maybe some over-run ?)
>
> What kind of hang are you talking about?  Was the system totally hung,

Yes. Couldnt login on laptop keyboard. Couldnt rlogin telnet ssh remote.
Couldnt even ping I recall.

> or did it panic, or did the transfer process just hang?  Would it be
> possible to enable DDB in both kernels and see where it's hanging?

both kernels ?
At that time I was running the kernel the cdrom delivered to my hard disc.
I'm now running my own kernel.

> Enabling INVARIANTS and WITNESS might help track this down even more.

OK, I've modified my custom kernel adding
	makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
	options         DDB
	options INVARIANTS
	options WITNESS
to be ready, but I can't reproduce the problem here either:
  I've just done another ftp put of 1G (in same
  direction, 4.9 host Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (400.91-MHz
  686-class CPU) to 5.2.1-RC2 laptop Pentium/P55C (166.66-MHz 586-class
  CPU) & it won't crash again, (with my kernel).  (albeit the 1G was
  different data, before it was my backup tar.gz before changing
  disks, now its the 2 5.2.1-RC2.isos.
  I tried an amd+nfs cp to try to trigger it, no hang occured..
  I reverted to original 5.2.1-RC2 generic kernel & still can't get
  the silent hang.

Only thing left, grasping at straws, is my old laptop had a lof of
read errors accesing the CD-RW, maybe somehow I got some bad binaries
from that, that my make install has subsequently cured.
I dont think its a heat problem. Office is a bit warmer today, &
Ive not seen heat problems before on that box.

Sorry I too can't seem to be able to replicate these errors.
I tried though, & now have a kernel ready if they recur.
Thanks.

-
Julian Stacey.  Unix C & Net Services Consultant - Munich.  http://berklix.com
  Mail me in Ascii text/plain:   Html is dumped as Spam.
  Schnupftabak probieren:  Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !
  Software patents ? vampires would approve !  http://berklix.com/patents/