Re: Review/Test: Pseudo-device unit number management patch

From: Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-current_at_webteckies.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:19:42 +0100
On Wednesday 18 February 2004 14:32, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <39796.1077013415_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
>
>             "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> : Current our handing is that if it disappears, it's gone, if it comes
> : back it's probably a new one anyway.
>
> Yes.  If the hardware goes away and comes back, it can be very
> difficult to know if you have the same hardware or different
> hardware.

For something as critical as a keyboard, would it be possible:
- to keep the current layer in tact, but fool the layer that the device is
always there?
- store the last used keyboard somewhere and if no keyboard is found on boot,
assume the last one used and start emulating it's existence

All this of course, controllable by a kernel / bootloader / sysctl option, so
that environments where keyboard switching is normal do not suffer.

--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.idg.nl 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #2: Mon Feb 16 19:59:52
CET 2004
root_at_sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG  i386