Samba Problems on Current

From: Scott Sipe <cscotts_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:41:16 -0500
Hi,

Not sure if this message should be going to this list, a samba list a
ports list or what--but I'm having some problems with Samba on CURRENT
(most recent samba port, Current as of about 3 days ago, and also a
current from about 2 weeks ago).

I have a FAT drive mounted (it was created and formatted under FreeBSD)
and shared via samba.  When I try to copy large files to the drive from
an XP computer, samba often (not always) dies (I lose the connection)
and a large number of unkillable smbd processes abound in state "nbufkv"
if that matters (kill -9, killall -9 -- no effect)--the only solution is
to reboot the computer (which by itself doesn't always work--sometimes I
have to pull the plug).  I haven't noticed anything weird in the samba
logs, or elsewhere, and am not really sure what I should look for, or
what additional information I can provide.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Scott