Re[2]: driver has wrong version and is disabled

From: F. Senault <fred.letter_at_lacave.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:05:45 +0100
(Sorry for the direct reply, missed the reply to the list...  :})

Monday, February 23, 2004, 11:45:24 AM, you wrote:

> On 2004-02-23 09:28 +0100, Pierrick Brossin wrote:
>> Hey!
>>
>> I'm having an issue there with 5.2.
>> I just built and install the new world/kernel and I tried to recompile
>> both the nvidia and the emu10kx (chibis' one) drivers but they return
>> the following thing when loaded:
>>
>> WARNING: Device driver "nvidia" has wrong version and is disabled.
>> Recompile KLD module.
>> WARNING: Device driver "nvidiactl" has wrong version and is disabled.
>> Recompile KLD module.

> See here for patches submitted by matk.

> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=203542+0+current/cvs-all

FYI, I had the exact same problem with vinum, from fresh sources
cvsupped today around 12:00 CST, with the added joy of the machine
dropping to single user because it was unable to mount a disk.

It seems that the exact same correction as above did the trick for me.
I don't know if it's _correct_, but it made the system usable again
for me...

Simply :

---------------8<------------

13:49 talisker:/usr/src# diff -u sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c.old sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c
--- sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c.old   Mon Feb 23 13:49:09 2004
+++ sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c       Mon Feb 23 13:46:18 2004
_at__at_ -63,8 +63,13 _at__at_
     .d_ioctl = vinumioctl,
     .d_strategy = vinumstrategy,
     .d_name = "vinum",
+#if __FreeBSD_version < 502103
     .d_maj = VINUM_CDEV_MAJOR,
     .d_flags = D_DISK
+#else
+    .d_version = D_VERSION,
+    .d_flags = D_DISK|D_NEEDGIANT
+#endif
 };

 /* Called by main() during pseudo-device attachment. */

Note that I ain't no kernel hacker, so this patch may screw up things
in some obscure way for you (and me, but it seems that my news spool
hasn't exploded yet).

> Amar.

Fred
--
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to try to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the