5.2.1-RC2 Panics

From: Neal Nelson <neal_at_nelsonnet.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:29:54 +0100
I've just got a new Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard on which I've
installed FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2. I had run FreeBsd-STABLE for several years
on another motherboard, so I thought it was time to upgrade.

I have two P-ATA discs mirrored using vinum, including the root. Apart
from that it's all per the basic install so far, except that I have to
boot with no ACPI in order to actually finish booting
(hint.acpi.0.disabled=1 in /boot/loader.conf). With ACPI the system
will not boot.

My problem is that when I try to rebuild the kernel, I get panics. I've
had two different kinds so far:

panic: lockmgr:  locking against myself
cpuid = 0;

syncing disks, buffers remaining... 3839 3839 panic: free locked buf
cpuid = 0;

I also got the following this morning when trying to buildworld:

The instruction pointer was 0x8:0xc061l05b and I'm running 5.2.1-RC2
GENERIC, so maybe it'll be useful for someone.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it's so unstable? I'm running the
same on a Compaq Deskpro (except no vinum) and all is well. Is it a
problem with the nForce-2 chipset or maybe vinum? I've never run vinum
before as my old motherboard had a promise RAID controller on board.

The problem seems to be load related as it also happens after cvsup-ing
when doing a portsdb -Uu.