Re: 5.2.1-RC2 debug kernel PANIC "Memory modified after free"

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:15:46 -0500
Jesse Guardiani wrote:

[...]

> And to recap, the stock 5.2.1rc2 kernel boots just fine. However, it
> core dumps on random ocassions, and I was hoping to get a gdb backtrace
> from a debug kernel core. But my debug kernel won't boot!
>
> The major differences I see from GENERIC to my debug kernel are that
> I don't include 'options SMP' or 'options apic' in my debug kernel
> and my debug kernel has WATCHDOG and all of the other debug options
> turned on. I can post a diff if anyone is interested.
>
> Thanks!

Going once....

I'm probably going to attempt an upgrade to -CURRENT at the end of this week,
so if anyone is actually interested in debugging this problem with me then
they should contact me ASAP.

I consider this error pretty darn bad because I can't run a debug kernel
anymore. Do we really want to ship 5.2.1-RELEASE with this kind of a bug
lurking in the wings?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,